Are you worried or excited? Whatever the reason, if you are trying to make a short version yourself or rule out fate, you must wait at least two weeks after having unprotected sex.
If you take the test too early, it will give you a false result which is likely to be negative, and it can cause you disappointment or give a sense of relief, but in both cases, the result is not right.
Here the term “unprotected sex” refers to sex that happened without proper contraception or a broken condom, or maybe an expired condom, or perhaps the method of birth control used was expired, or a scenario where they have missed their birth control for a long time.
When Can You Take The Test?
Doctors say that to get the most accurate result, you must wait at least two weeks before taking a pregnancy test. The female body releases a hormone while you are pregnant called the hCG, which takes time to form inside the body.
This is the hormone that is responsible for giving the pregnancy test results. If you take a test too early, it may deliver a false negative result which can be misleading. If you expect a positive result, take a few more days and take the test to get a sure-shot result. But if you are worried and want to be relieved, then you should at least wait for two weeks before getting to a conclusion.
When Can You Take The Blood Test?
Blood tests are more effective and sensitive than home pregnancy tests. They can detect low levels of hCG hormones from home test kits because they can give a more accurate result and let you know if you are pregnant after seven to ten days of conception.
The blood tests need to be prescribed by a doctor. The lab process can take a while before giving the results. Generally, doctors suggest taking a blood test after the positive home test.
Are Pregnancy Tests Accurate?
Both blood tests and home tests give results that are quite precise. A home test kit gives a 97% accurate result, and a blood test gives 99% accurate results. If you take a test at home and get a positive result, it is better if you consult a doctor and get a blood test done to be sure.
It is rare but not impossible to get a false positive while testing at home. So if the kit shows faint lines, it can mean that you are pregnant.
Steps To Follow To Get An Accurate Result
- It is better if you take the test in the morning. This is the best time because in the morning, the contraction of hCG hormones is high in urine, so the results are like to be more accurate.
- The instructions written on the package should be followed precisely. Checking the result on time is important. Make sure you are not checking the results too late or too early. This can manipulate the exact result.
- Do not drink a lot of water or any other kinds of fluid in the morning before taking the test. This can result in diluting the urine, which can manipulate the hCG levels, and the results may not be accurate.
- The test should be stored correctly at a temperature of thirty-six to thirty-eight degrees Fahrenheit. The expiration process shows down in this temperature.
- Over time the antibody coating on the pregnancy test kit starts to evaporate and does not give effective results. So the expiration date should be checked before using the kit. Generally, home test kits stay effective for three years from manufacturing.
It is easy for you to take the test if you have your periods on track. It is not like that you get pregnant the day you have sex. The sperm can take up to 6 days to join the egg after sex. Then again, it takes a few days for the fertilized egg to grow and then travel to the uterus and implant itself inside the uterus lining to kickstart the pregnancy. So it can be as long as two to three weeks from the time you had sex.
The best time to take a pregnancy test is when you realize you are late or the day when your period is about to start. If the results are inconclusive, take the test again the next day and take it just after waking up. That will give you an accurate result.
The result can be a false negative if the test is taken too early, the kit is checked even before the result has developed properly, or if the urine is diluted. If you are not sure about the results it is better to take it again just to be sure that the results are accurate.
The pregnancy calculator works best if you take the test after you have missed your menstrual cycle. But if it is too much for you and you cannot wait any further, and you also know the last date of your menstrual cycle, then the pregnancy calculator can help you with the date of conception and your due date as well.
- Old Tricks To Getting Pregnant – The Old Wives Tale
- Understanding The Sensation: What Do Contractions Feel Like?
- I Need To Get Pregnant This Month – What’s The Best Time For Me?
- “Am I Pregnant?” Quiz: Test Your Knowledge about Pregnancy and Fertility